Water Quality For Livestock Drinking :
Water is a critical nutrient for livestock and poultry. As with feed ingredients, livestock water should meet the nutritional needs of the animal. An adequate and safe water supply is essential to the production of healthy livestock and poultry. Water that adversely affects the growth, reproduction, or productivity of livestock and poultry cannot be considered suitable. A high level of suspended solids and an objectionable taste, odor or color in water can cause animals to drink less than they should.
Stagnant can serve as a reservoir for many different disease organisms and toxins. water contaminated may develop blue-green algae, which can poison livestock, causing muscle tremors, liver damage, and death. Water sumps & storage tanks needs to be observed for the presence of algae and other harmful organisms during hot, dry weather.
Leptospirosis and Fusobacterium are two bacterial contaminants that often use water as modes of transportation from animal to animal. This diseases often manifests itself as reproductive problems. Problems may range from infertility, to low milk production, to widespread late-term abortion. The organism can survive for extended periods of time in surface waters with algae & bacteria.
Fusobacterium infection is more commonly known as “foot-rot.” The bacteria enters through cuts, bruises, or puncture wounds on damaged feet of other animals. Once inside an animal’s body, they multiply rapidly and serve to spread the disease. Clinical signs of “foot-rot” are most commonly seen as chronic lameness, often with swelling above the foot. Water is too often blamed for production or disease problems.
- Calcium Carbonate scale build up in the watering systems can plug lines, nozzles, valves, cool cells and also coat over heating elements in water heaters and humidifiers causing them premature burn out.
- Calcium Carbonate scale builds up in milking equipment allowing for the formation of milk stone in high protein dairy herds.
- Excessive alkalinity can cause physiological and digestive upsets in livestock may cause temporary, mild diarrhea in livestock; and water droppings in poultry at higher levels.
- Hard waters can cause difficulty in washing of milking equipment and causes water heaters to “lime up.” Contaminates such as iron will clog pipelines. Well water with high iron content may have problems with iron bacteria forming a red, slimy mass that can clog well screens and require periodic treatment with chlorine.
- Nitrogen in the form of nitrate when absorbed into the blood, nitrite reduces the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood by reacting with hemoglobin.
Poor Water Quality Can Steal Cattle Blind
There are many factors that affect sound animal husbandry practices for cattle, both in confinement and on open range. Supplying adequate nutrition water during the different production stages, along with a solid health program.
Water is the most important nutrient in the realm of Animal Husbandry. During the average day cattle will consume three-times as much water. Cattle can live without some feed sources for a period of time, but they will die quickly due to lack of water.
High sulfate levels in both surface and subsurface water sources can impact performance and efficiency of animals.
- High salts reduce water intake, in turn will reduce feed intake, which reduces overall performance.
- Sulfur toxicity will lead to polioencaphalomalacia (PEM), a metabolic disorder (not contagious) causing neurological problems in cattle that can lead to death. Cattle go off feed, get depressed and lethargic, which eventually leads to blind staggers, paralysis and potentially death.
- Sulfur interferes with the availability of copper. This could lead to a trace mineral deficiency and cause long-term problems such as decreased reproductive efficiency
Benefits of using an ISS
- Scale build up is reduced allowing for better water flow allowing nozzles and valvesto operate more efficiently.
- Reduction of scale in the milking equipment allows for little of no chemicals to prevent milk stone build up.
- Reduces algae and bacteria build up.
- Improves Nutrient uptake.Keeps (p.H.) stability in the water.
- Provides a source of healthy Calcium for animals.
- The animal takes the safest water in large quantities than usual.
- Food supplement is also available in water as caco3 in aragonite condition which is quite safe.There are no bacteria in the water so the animals & birds are safe.
- Homogeneity of the milk automatically happens, when once the milk is passed through the converter.
- Pasteurization occurs automatically without HTST (High Temperature Short Time).
- Water through our converter is Zero Algae hence clean Floors & tanks.